Staying Healthy While Traveling
By Susan M. Keenan © 2007
Trying to stay healthy while on vacation isnít something most people think about either while they are planning their vacation or while they are on it. It is something that everyone going on a vacation should do though. Following a few common sense strategies before and during your vacation can ensure that you remain safe and healthy the whole time. Itís important to follow as many of the following tips for the healthiest trip.
Steps for Staying Healthy on Vacation Prior to your Departure
- Visit your physician for a complete physical during last few weeks before your departure. Not only will you be able to check the status of your health, but also, you will be able to adjust your current medications if necessary.
- Consult your physician if you have any concerns about current health conditions including high blood pressure, respiratory problems, or cardiac problems.
- Some trips require specific vaccinations and might require a few weeks before they become 100 percent effective. Some of the vaccinations you should consider getting include Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Influenza, Varicella, Meningococcal meningitis, Japanese Encephalitis, Typhoid Fever, Yellow Fever, and rabies.
- If you or your children havenít already gotten the following booster vaccinations: Tetanus, Measles-Mumps-Rubella, and Polio, you should get them before you leave on your vacation.
- Have prescriptions filled and arrange to carry additional medicine just in case you lose some while traveling. Some countries have strict drug regulations so carry your medicine in the original container.
- Wear a medical alert bracelet if you have any life threatening diseases.
- Carry a card listing pertinent medical information including doctor name and phone number, current medication, allergies, and insurance numbers.
- Pack a first aid kit to carry with you on your trip. It should include prescriptions, pain medication, antacids, bug repellent, and sunscreen.
- Check your medical insurance coverage and check on the procedures for medical treatment while abroad.
- Have dental work completed prior to your departure.
Steps for Staying Healthy While Traveling
- Select meals carefully while traveling, avoiding food served by street vendors, raw foods, ice cubes, crushed ice, and local water.
- Choose heated, steaming meals to avoid bacteria.
- Select only pasteurized dairy foods.
- If you choose to eat raw fruits or vegetables, peel it before eating it.
- Select commercially packaged water to drink.
- Take preventative medicine that has been prescribed for you.
- Avoid swimming in bodies of fresh water.
- Use bug repellent to avoid mosquito-borne diseases.
- Use bed netting at night to avoid mosquito-borne diseases.
- Use seatbelts in motor vehicles and helmets for bicycles and motorcycles.
- Avoid crowded transportation as well as driving in unfamiliar areas or driving at night.
As long as you follow the steps listed above, you should be healthy during and after your trip. If you do feel as though you are getting sick, make an appointment to see your physician as soon as possible.
Getting sick while you are on vacation isn't any fun. Lots of tips are included here that show you how you can avoid getting sick while traveling.
Alse see: Pregnant Woman Traveling